Thursday, August 12, 2010

Let's get this straight -


Boy is this a good one... Today Kate and I went to the Museum Center with Tara, Hyland and Lydia. We had an awesome time. Kate LOVES being with the girls. Very fun. Anyways, Kate and I were walking out to the car, just the two of us, and here was our conversation:

Kate - "I'm going to get in my car seat by myself."

Me - "Because it's so hot, I'm going to put you in your seat so you don't get burned."

Kate (repeating herself, but this time with a kick) - "I'm going to get in my car seat by myself because I'M IN CHARGE."

FULL STOP ON THE SIDEWALK.

Me (calmly but clearly) - "No Kate, that's absolutely incorrect. You are not in charge. Mommy and Daddy are in charge."

Kate - "But I want to be in charge."

Me - "I totally understand that, but it doesn't work that way. God put Mommy and Daddy in charge of you. You don't get to be in charge."

At this, she starts sobbing. I took that as a positive sign, like she got what I was saying, but of course was not happy with it. I'm a betting woman, and I'd put down cash that this is an issue we'll come back to...learning to submit to authority is not easy, Kate, you are correct.

Cute girls at the museum :)

4 comments:

amo said...

OH MY GOODNESS! That was absolutely classic. My jaw literally dropped open when I read her line "BECAUSE I'M IN CHARGE." Holy cow. You handled the situation quite well, Krissy!

Alli said...

Awesome job Krissy. (And I laughed too because I could hear your tone of voice as you explained to her 'the way it really is').

This was a very very important moment. I'm so glad you didn't let it pass you by! Read my blog and you'll know we have some similar issues going down here. Your daughter can talk but mine is saying the same thing.
And getting the same answer!

Rachel said...

Good job. I am amazed at the way CONTROL can leap into kids vocabulary. Right now we are eliminating "I want" and replacing with "May I have ___ please?" Just working it out all the time.

Anonymous said...

It seems like we have that conversation several times a day around here! :)