Friday, January 23, 2009

Thanks, peeps

I wanted to thank everybody for the responses to the "Please help me" post. You have, well, helped me, so thanks! She's not sleeping better yet, but I feel lots of encouragement. There is no substitute for great friends. I can't tell you how helpful this has been to me.

Some big picture things I've learned so far -

1) Mary Senff reminded me that I need to have faith and hope that Kate will sleep again. Kate is a great sleeper. She's in a bumpy patch, but we'll get out of it soon.
2) Tricia McClain helped me realize an interesting irony - I was very PROUD that Kate was a great sleeper for the first 6 months. Now that she's not, I'm angry at myself. Pride is an ugly thing, and performance is something I've struggled with in the past (as you all have observed.) I will not turn Kate into a report card - that's disgusting. I want to love her and make sure she's getting what she needs. That's it.
3) I have amazing friends, and when I need help, you are there!
4) It's cool to hear how everyone approaches this differently. I love that. Several of you sent me your thoughts via email, and what I loved was, particularly from the emails, people are doing all sorts of different stuff. There are some family bed peeps, some strong cry it outers, some eat in the nighters, and more. And you know why I love it, because you've all got different kids so of course there are all different approaches. Sweetness.

Related to Kate, my current hypothesis is that she is overtired and not getting good naps. So, my current focus is getting her good rest so I lay a good foundation. I'll let you know how that goes. Keep any thoughts coming on the other post - I really appreciate it!!!!!

Love ya - K

1 comment:

Rachel said...

krissy, you are loved, and you are a great mom. kate loves you, she is growing well, she is beautiful. you are doing a fantastic job being her mom.

the night time bath works like a dream for cana. around the 6 month mark when she would unexpectedly wake up i occasionally ran her a bath in the middle of the night. that baby bathtime bubble bath and lotion by J&J ... I swear it has baby sleep drugs in it.

I'm praying for Kate every night when I put Cana to bed.