Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Sacrificial Love


I've been reminded that there is a lot of sacrifice with an infant. I have just accepted that we eat dinner out at 5pm or not at all. That's my normal. My parents and Linda and Dick Boggs, who are all retired and living each moment of their lives in total freedom, do not eat dinner at 5pm usually. Of course they are totally flexing to me and Kate, but I had almost forgotten the new world of sacrifice I live in.

Then I started reflecting about sacrificial love. I never understood what that could mean until Kate. I would never have chosen sacrifice, and now I don't do it because I want to. But that's part of being a mom. You give up your body in pregnancy. Then you give it up some more in breastfeeding. You give up sleep (this is proving my most difficult challenge - more on that later.) You give up dinner after 5pm. You give up more things than I could list.


And of course you get so much, her smiles are priceless to name just one thing. But a lot of it you don't see the reward for quite a long time. One thing's for sure - being a mother gives you a more crisp picture of sacrificial love than you would have otherwise.

No comments: