Sunday, November 23, 2008

Advice no one told me about being a mom

This tip is for future moms. If you aren't one, don't bother reading.

Here it is - the big thing I wish I would have done before and during pregnancy: lift weights to make my upper body stronger. Why? The single most important reason - breastfeeding. At the beginning, you have to hold the baby in the same position 8-10 times a day for 30-45 minutes straight. And once you get the position right, you can't move. They make special pillows to help (boppy is good), but you still need upper body strength. Breastfeeding is hard for many reasons at the beginning, and if you have upper body strength, it's one less obstacle to overcome. I was so concerned about whether or not I could or should be doing aerobic activity, and in the end I don't think that mattered. But weight training would have been clutch. Plus, it helps you carry the car seat which weighs 10 pounds + whatever the baby weighs (currently Kate is closing in on 20 lbs, so that's almost 30 lbs.) But the issue is the longevity in the same position while feeding her at the beginning. Don't make the same mistake I did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's your dad... again. You KNOW the English teacher one. We love the blog but try to get more rest.

love Dad

Lisa said...

Thanks for the tip! My upper body is super wimpy right now - I've got a lot to work on in the next 5 months!

Krissy said...

Thanks for always looking out for me, Dad :) You are the best!

Don't worry, I sleep a lot!!!