Saturday, May 08, 2010

What's in a name

So it looks like we have a name for our new baby girl. Once we knew we were having a girl, her name came to us pretty quickly. With Kate, we knew her name before she was even conceived. We also have had our boy name picked out for years - Jonathan Thomas. But we weren't sure on our second girl right away...here's a little background on the process:

We started with Grace, but felt like Grace Little would be read as "Little, Grace" and we want lots of Grace not a little bit. Our next fave was Alli, but I never really liked that TV show "Kate & Alli" and I thought I'd always think of that. Lillian has always been a huge favorite of mine - that was my grandma's name and I love Lilly as well, but Lilly Little just doesn't roll off the tongue for me. So, we kept thinking.

Brett and I have both always loved the name Elizabeth, but we could never land on a shortened version that felt right to us. But then Suzie Zakany, Brett's aunt, suggested Ellie or Elle. YES!!! My response was, can you do that? Well sure you can. So it looks like her name is going to be Elizabeth Little, and we will call her Ellie. When she gets older, maybe she'll want to transition to Elle, but we'll have that be her call. As for the middle name, the lead horse is Grace (the issue above doesn't bother us in the middle)...Elizabeth Grace Little.

The name Elizabeth is Hebrew and means "Consecrated to God." Uh, yeah, that's awesome. In case you don't use the word consecrated every day, it can be defined as, "dedicated to the Lord," "set apart for God," "devoted to God." Yes, please sign our daughter up for these things.

So don't hold us to it - there's still time for a change, but I think we're feeling pretty solid on this one.

2 comments:

Rachel said...

Sweetness. We're big Elizabeth fans around here. My mom can list about 100 Elizabeth nick names if you ever find yourself one short. Cana Elizabeth and I approve!

love --- Rachel Elizabeth

Alli said...

I LOVE this name. Ellie is awesome (and Alli too)! In my mind, Elizabeth is a classic, stately, feminine, beautiful name. Excellent choice with a fun sweet nickname.
Good one!