Tuesday, May 11, 2010

On being a mom

I was in the bathroom at a restaurant Saturday night, and there was a woman washing her hands at the sink next to me. I noticed her because she was strikingly beautiful, but I couldn't figure out what about her made her so attractive. She was fairly average in every way, and yet, I found her so beautiful that I was kind of staring at her to land on the heart of her beauty.

As I was glancing back and forth at her subtly, she kind of caught me off guard by asking me, "Are you a mom?" I of course said yes and she wished me a happy Mother's Day. After assessing that she was about my same age, I asked her the question back and she replied yes, so I bid her the same. I then added that I had another on the way, and she congratulated me.

(This is a separate point - I feel like when I meet strangers, or even see people I haven't seen in a while, I need to tell them I'm pregnant and not unfortunately shaped or letting myself go. I have to say it's hard - I just had some people I see pretty regularly find out and be surprised to learn I'm pregnant. Good grief with the long torso - it's 6 months already!)

Back to the main story, so after being recognized as a mom, I stopped and considered what got her to the conclusion. And at first, I was upset - I thought, "Am I wearing a 'mom' outfit? Do I have a 'mom' haircut?" I hope my body at least makes me suspicious, but based on her reaction I wasn't obviously pregnant to her. So basically, all of my first reactions were negative - I didn't want to look like a mom.

But then I thought, maybe she thought I looked soft. Maybe my smiles seemed loving to her. Maybe she could see that I'm nurturing. Perhaps even the beauty I saw in her that I couldn't identify was her softness and grace, and that's what she was also seeing in me. I liked this idea better so I stuck with it. :)

My Mother's Day was outstanding. Brett and Kate made it a perfect day. I knew what I wanted to do, asked for it, and received it. They took me to breakfast, gave me sweet gifts, hung out, had Dairy Corner custard - all my favorite things. Kate really understood it was a day to celebrate me - she kept asking to "cuddle mommy" and hug and kiss me. Adorable little girl. I love being her mom :)

No comments: