Saturday, May 22, 2010

Compliment or Insult?

So, I'm not sure how to take this - what do you think?

Today I saw a friend that I hadn't seen for a couple of months. We chatted for a while, she complimented my outfit and told me how cute I looked, and then she asked me if anything new was going on. When I said I was excited about the baby she said, " What! You're pregnant!" I feel like this happens to me more often than it should, and I don't know how to take it. Is it a good thing that my body handles pregnancy well even at 6+ months, or is it a bad thing that people think nothing of me gaining 20+ pounds primarily in my stomach? It's one thing with strangers or people who don't really pay attention to physical appearances, but a girl friend who clearly had noticed how I looked and not noticed, I don't know what to do with that.

3 comments:

Ross & Tricia McLain said...

Compliment!
I say that because even if her intention was to insult you.... the Truth is you are beautiful! Pregnancy is very beautiful on you! In fact, I would say you are blessed in having a long torso (which is likely why you hide your babies so well).

You are someone that has to be intentional about wearing "maternity-ish" clothing, so that those around you can "know" and celebrate with you.

The bright side of being able to "hide" pregnancy so well is that you quickly look "not pregnant" after you have your babies.

It's a win-win all the way around!!

I say... Wear more "maternity-ish" clothes! It's fun to see & celebrate your baby bump!!

P.S. "Maternity-ish clothes"- defined as those that make you look more obviously pregnant, such as high waste bands & draw strings that tie back. :-)

Alli said...

I agree with Tricia! I told you that exact thing when you were pregnant with Kate (about wearing clothes that made you look pregnant!). But also it is a little crazy that your friend was surprised! I think you look more pregnant this time.
It's time for you and I to talk about how to celebrate this little girl that's officially now "coming soon." That is a conversation for this week.
Love you.

Emily said...

Compliment.

Meanwhile, the last time I saw you you looked adorable. Fact.