Wednesday, September 03, 2008

I'D RECOMMEND...

My friend Dora, pictured here, does not have children yet and she has decided she is going to be an "apprentice" with moms she knows and respects. What a great idea - learn about the job before you actually do it. She has asked me to write down things that are important so I don't forget them. So, as I think of it, I'll share things I think are important related to Motherhood.

This is not in order of importance, but in this post I'll share a few "must have" items (in my opinion, of course) -

1.) Specially made swaddling blankets, specifically "Halo" for newborns and "Miracle blanket" for ~6 weeks until swaddling is no longer needed. WHY is this important? Swaddling is when you wrap a baby up tight, replicating the womb. It helps them calm down and go to SLEEP. More on sleep in future posts - this is one of my hobbies and core values, so of course I'm instilling this in my daughter.

Specifically these blankets make swaddling easier. The Halo blanket (pictured here) is great when the baby is first born and needs to get in and out of the blanket often (since newborns sleep most of the day and night.) This blanket has a zipper so you can swaddle without waking the baby. When they are bigger and can wiggle their way out of the swaddle, the miracle blanket is great. Once the baby can wiggle out of the miracle blanket, I think it's time to call it quits on the swaddle (which for us was somewhere around 10 weeks I think.) But until that time, it was THE BEST!!

2. Decorative car seat cover. Sure, it might not seem that important, but for those who appreciate beauty, consider this an accessory you will have everyday. I get compliments on this thing everywhere I go. http://www.mylittlechild.com/ has lots of options for $50-$100. I value beauty - it makes me feel good. I know God values it too - consider sunsets for a moment. Invest in this.



3. An infant bath tub. This cost $10 and was so worth it. See how much fun she's having (versus the toddler tub below which was supposed to work for infants but doesn't.) Key issue with the one she's screaming in - you couldn't fill it with water so she's freezing. That's no fun. This blue one is on an incline so she sits in water and only needs to be steadied. Do it.


4. Bouncer Seat. Period - this is the best toy. This one from Fisher Price was $30 and has a more subdued pattern than the rainforest design. But no matter what is looks like, it is the BEST. She loves talking to her pals Leroy, Jethro, and Bob (green elephant, giraffe, and blue elephant respectively. Kate told my dad their names.) You must have one of these.
Other things to consider -

Bumbo. Good for neck muscles. Isn't she funny and mature in this little chair?



An activity mat. Kate and her good friend Cana are enjoying the Gymini Tiny Love Activity Mat. Here's why this is great - Brett and I think it's fun, so WE want to play with it so we spend more time playing with Kate. I'd recommend this for all toys - get ones that look like fun to you!



1 comment:

amo said...

this is fantastic! I will need to print these out and keep them for when we have a kid!