Thursday, September 18, 2008

The Beauty of Spontaneity

Recently my friend Kelly told me I’m the most spontaneous person she knows; I think that is a huge compliment. Motherhood makes it more difficult to be spontaneous, and she was asking me how I was adjusting. It certainly hasn’t been as easy, but I have continued to hold onto the value of not letting life pass me by simply because I have previous “plans” (or lack thereof.) Maybe I learned this from my grandma…

This past Thursday, my 87 year old grandma received an offer to fly on a jet on Saturday to Washington D.C. She, along with 10 other veterans, would be visiting the World War II memorial. My grandma has seen the memorial before, but she would not let this opportunity pass her by. So, just 2 days after she received the invitation, she would board the jet and headed to D.C.

I think this is AWESOME! When life comes your way, you don’t make excuses. Even if they are very reasonable excuses, like “I don’t walk as well as I used to.” No, when life comes your way, you say ‘I’m in.” Maybe that’s why at 87 her mind is as sharp as ever, because she continues to run after life (okay, walk slowly, but you get the point.) I hope her sense of adventure and love of life are always part of who I am.

No comments: