Thursday, April 30, 2009

What do you know about love?

Today I heard two songs about love.  See if you can guess which one I liked better...I'll give you a clue - one paints an absurd, unattainable, unrealistic picture of love.  The other one is real.  Here are the lyrics-

Natasha Bedingfield, "Soulmate"

"Who doesn't long for someone to hold?  
Who knows how to love you without being told.  
Somebody please tell me why I'm on my own.  
If there's a soulmate for everyone."

Alli Rogers, "Closer to the moon"

"My grandpa says commitment is the key to love.  
50 years of sometimes twilight, sometimes dawn.
He's says there were the years he wasn't sure about
But the love they chose was worth the pressing on."

Okay, in case you couldn't guess, I like the second song.  Unfortunately, I'd bet none of you have heard of it.  (I heard Alli Rogers at a concert - she was the opener.)  The first song, however, is all over the airwaves.  

The key theme for me is that LOVE IS A CHOICE.  This picture "you know what I want and need so I don't have to say it" is crap.  It's over-romanticized and sets up poor expectations.   It keeps us from actually CHOOSING love, which is what we have to do.  Choosing love looks like forgiveness, joy, pain, suffering, celebrating, etc. etc.  I guess it looks like choosing to keep going through the ups and downs, the good and bad.  I want to be making the CHOICE everyday, when it feels good and when it doesn't.

2 comments:

Alli said...

Ok this reminds me so much of what I've often said about TV...

Who are these people writing these songs which get blasted at me and sink into my heart and mind? Would I want these people influencing my soul? In most cases I think not. Natasha B's song is case in point. I totally agree with you.

This is why I'll take the chance to say here: the Lord says to us "Guard your Heart!" Do not take in messages - TV, songs, books, etc and think that they do not influence your soul. It's just a favor we can do ourselves in an already difficult battle. Tune some of the crap out.

Alli said...

One more thing: I want to say here out loud...I've left Friends behind for this same reason. Good bye Friends. I guess since they've been off the air for 10 years now it was time I moved on anyway.