Saturday, October 04, 2008

Best Year of my Life


They say it’s my birthday! (well, yesterday) I’m 31 years old. I had a great birthday – I felt really loved. It started at 6:30 when Kate woke up, and after she ate I just enjoyed snuggling with her. Then at 8:30 flowers arrived at the door from Brett and Kate. I love getting flowers – I know they will die, but they are so beautiful. I got an amazing camera from Brett, my parents, and Nikki; I can hold down the button and continuously take pictures. Brett and I went out on a fancy date to the Precinct and my mom watched Kate. Then we went out with a couple of people afterwards for Beer and Cake. It was an awesome day.

We have a tradition that on your birthday that you answer 3 questions – 1) Best parts of your year 2) Toughest parts of your year and 3) What you’re looking forward to in the coming year. I highly recommend doing this – it’s fun and it’s good to reflect. Here are my answers –

1) Best Parts of the Year – This was definitely the best year of my life. After I quit my job, I felt like God told me to read Isaiah 61. I had no idea what it said, and when I turned to the chapter the title was “Year of the Lord’s Favor.” That has been my experience – I received blessings and favor the entire year. Quitting my job brought me so much freedom. I got to spend this year having fun, and it was amazing. And of course the obvious, Kate has been an incredible gift to us. I didn’t know how much I would love her. Overall, the best year of my life.

2) Toughest Parts of the Year – I’ve come a long way in my battle against performance, the need to define myself by my accomplishments. But in being a mom, this has definitely crept back in. Specifically, anytime Kate cries, I feel like a bad mom. I feel like I should be able to make her stop. And then, I feel embarrassed in front of other people, sad that I can’t help her, and overall like a failure. A newborn is a tough challenge for a performance junkie like me since they don’t really “perform’ – they just exist. They eat, sleep, play at little, and cry. Realizing this is freeing me up though.

3) What I’m looking forward to next year – Kate getting bigger and continuing to do new things. Maybe getting a job somewhere (we’ll see what happens.)

This year has really felt like a gift. I pray that I have more years as good as this one!

1 comment:

Rachel said...

Lovely, just lovely -- i love a good celebration day. And, I see that you have adopted the Peters' Birthday Questions as your own. Spreading the love, just spreading the love.