Thursday, August 13, 2009

"Liquid Satan" requires self-discipline

Today, Kate reached for something she wasn't supposed to touch.  She knew she wasn't supposed to touch it, and as a result, she used her left hand to hit her right hand and tell it, "No, don't touch."  Then, she pulled the right hand back to her chest and the left hand came back and comforted it, "It's okay."  [Note - she didn't actually say these words, but it was clear that's what her actions were saying.]

The back story is, starting at about 5 months old, we would discipline Kate by hitting her hand and telling her no.  You may say that's too early, but she knew what she was doing.  And we believe physical consequences are an important part of the natural world (e.g. I don't put my hand on the stove because it will hurt.  Pain is very helpful tool...ask the few people in the world who don't experience physical pain - it's a problem.)  Whether you personally agree with us or not, we felt this was right for Kate.

It's amazing to me how naturally obedient Kate is.  I love that she is displaying self-discipline (literally, in this case.)  I pray that she maintains this skill throughout her life.

I could actually use a little more self-discipline myself.  Today someone told me they were reading a book that built a case for why Diet Soda is "Liquid Satan."  Yikes.  It referenced the amazing and ridiculous way it got approved by the FDA (via pay-offs, shady ignoring of poisoned rats, etc.)  So later, I reach in the fridge to grab for one and God says, "Really, you hear that it's the equivalent of drinking Satan and an hour later you can't refrain?"  Caveat is, I'm not saying God is universally against Diet Coke (He may be, but I don't know that for sure and that's not what I'm saying here.)  But what I do think is, God was challenging me to pick Him over my will and my desire in that moment.  

So, my right hand slapped my left hand and said "No, Don't touch."  I comforted myself by drinking a coffee instead :)

1 comment:

amo said...

wow. Great post, Krissy. I love that Kate is using self-discipline, and I love that you are following her example. You are a great parent. Can't wait to continue to learn from you when my little one comes along this week!